Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pebble Beach Golf. Why?

That Pebble Beach golf thing is upon us again. I don't play, and when I offered to play a round with a friend, she said no, insisting that I first spend many days on a driving range hitting balls and then take a few lessons. All to spend a couple hours with a friend, working up a thirst.

However, even if I did play, I can't see the thrill of watching other people play. I mean, it isn't the thrill a minute of ice hockey, downhill skiing, motorcycle racing or riding monster waves at Mavericks. Let's face it, this is a game that moves at glacial speed.

Still, Pebble Beach is a nice place to hang out, to see and be seen. But I guess the big draw is the celebrates, but I even question that. These are actors and comics, but they aren't acting or doing stand up. They're playing golf. So, people are watching famous people doing what they are not famous for.

Ok, an analogy. How about watching a group of professional athletes sitting around discussing monetary policy? Really, when you think about it, it's pretty much the same thing.

One of the guys out there is Tommy Smothers. Remember him? Unless you're my age, you probably don't. I had to do an internet search for Kevin James to realize he was the guy in that mall cop film. But I don't think golf fans are the same people who go to mall cop comedies.

Also, they always hold this thing when we're having our worst weather. I guess a golfer can hit a ball rain or shine, but the spectators are just standing there with water dripping off their noses.

Sometimes I forget this event until I drive into the Monterey area and see the signs for parking. I assume you have to pay to park to also pay to attend. Plus, any food you buy in the Pebble Beach area isn't going to be cheap.

Anyway, maybe it's just sour grapes because my friend won't let me play golf with her unless I invest many weeks and probably hundreds of bucks first.

No comments:

Post a Comment