Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Food and Wine

My local paper, the Sentinel, which is probably not too different from other papers in California, has an entire section called "Food and Wine." Why are these two thing paired?

I can see a section about food, something we all consume two to five times a day. It's nice to see recipes for possible future meals, and I always love to hear of a restaurant, previously unknown to me, that serves wonderful meals at a price I can afford. But why does this necessarily include wine?

I know for a fact that most meals don't include wine. How about wine for breakfast? Well, maybe for some folks, but I don't go into a coffee shop and say, "I'll take the Grand Slam and a glass of Napa Chardonnay." And there's lunch: "A double cheese burger, fries and some of that 2005 Pinot." Don't think so.

In fact, most of my dinners don't include wine, not that I'm some kind of a anti alcohol type or a wine hater. I've consumed more than my share. I just don't see some magical connection between food and wine.

How about food and ale? Those of us who love a hand crafted brew know that subtle differences between them make each perfect for certain types of food. Then, what about non drinkers? How about food and coffee, food and tea, food and juice?

Could it just be snobbery for those who can't afford palatial mansions and private jets.

No comments:

Post a Comment