Saturday, February 6, 2010

More New Age Confessions

I've been getting feedback on my piece about the 2012 new age announcement and also about my twelve step program to overcome my new age addiction. Let me clear things up for my supporters and critics alike.

First, a general definition. I use the term "new age" as a catch all for a wide assortment of ideas, beliefs and movements, from consciousness raising, faith healing, past lives, future lives, getting a life, cosmic transformations, karmic transportations, foretelling the future, preselling the future and the human potential movement, which apparently has something to do with voltage.

Second, as I've pointed out, I've been there. I've chanted, meditated, prognosticated, elevated, palpitated, undulated, related and self medicated. I've also, and I haven't mentioned this in years, taken a course at the Berkeley Psychic Institute in the late 80s, when I lived near San Francisco. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking. No! Seriously. I do know what you're thinking, and I know where you live, so get that smirk off your face and pay attention.

I've even attempted out of body experiences, but that never seemed to work. I have, however, had a number of out of mind experiences, and I guess those count for something.

Somewhere in the Bill of Rights it says we have the right to be wide-eyed truth-seekers, and I defend that right. After all, there's a seeker born every minute, and I've been one. Just ask the aliens who are monitoring my brain.

Also, I believe in ascension. We ascended from knuckle-dragging troglodytes to, well, less knuckle-dragging troglodytes, and we're on the way to becoming rational creatures, at least that's what my tea leaves tell me.

So, I don't look down at anyone who attends these new age events or who believe the earth will transform in 2012. I do have one question. Why do promoters advertise psychic fairs? I mean, if it's something you should attend, shouldn't you already know where and when it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment