Saturday, February 26, 2011

Working at the Cow Palace on Acid

There is a venue for concerts, rodeos and the like in San Francisco, called the Cow Palace. One year, in the late 80s when I lived near the City and was out of work for the summer, I signed up for some temp work, and one job was for some weekend event at the Cow Palace.

When I showed up on Saturday, there were many of us, and we were sent around to basically keep the place picked up and neat. Not hard work, but boring.

Thinking it would be the same on Sunday, I dropped some acid before going to work.
I was starting to trip when I got there and someone singled me out. I thought, "Oh, shit, busted. I'm going home."  But no. The guy assigned me to the back barn where the livestock were kept, telling me to just sweep and keep it all looking good for the visitors.

Between the cattle and the human cattle pushing, mooing and almost stampeding, I was amused for the entire day. I remember the day going by quickly.

The one bad part was lunch, when I went next door to McDonalds and tried to eat one of their burgers. A Big Mac on acid isn't anything one would choose to confront.

I came down just in time to drive home. Tripping is the only way to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment