Saturday, November 14, 2009

Taylor Swift: fantasy and a mute button

I was watching some middle school students playing on the internet, and several of them were watching Taylor Swift videos. Looking over their shoulders, I found it hard to take my eyes off of Swift. Because the students were wearing headphones, I couldn’t hear the music, which, in retrospect, was a good thing.

OK, I don’t like country music. More precisely, to me country music is like well bitten finger nails raked down an old fashioned blackboard, played through an amp. with bad feedback.

Anyway, curiosity got the better of me, and I listened to a preview of some of her music on the internet. She has a rather ordinary, somewhat metallic country voice. And, no, I wouldn’t buy her album.

However, with a face like that, even the finest voice would fall short. Being male, knowing a face like that is out there somewhere is enough to let me know that the world is a benign place and that somehow, somewhere, all will be sweetness and light. All I have to do is hit the mute button and sit back and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment