Friday, November 27, 2009

Finishing a really big job Obama style

I could relate to a quote from President Obama in an article about how he will send several thousand more military personnel to Afghanistan, to "Finish the job" begun eight years ago. I know how it feels to not want to give up on a big project undertaken over a long period of time.

You see, eight years ago I got the brilliant idea to remodel my 3/2 rancher into a copy of the Taj Mahal. At the time people warned me that it was too just big of a job, too unrealistic, but I was a man with a vision.

The first problem I ran into was the local building codes about building height in residential neighborhoods. But after getting special permits and modifying the height of the towers, I was ready to proceed. However replacing the windows was a bigger problem, leaving us without any windows at all during the coldest winter of the decade.

Also, I never realized how expensive that ancient siding would be in modern America, so I sill have much of that unfinished. Of course, opening up the interior required knocking out some walls, so much of the house has temporary bracing.

Big changes require moving lots of stuff, so currently the wiring and plumbing are pretty much torn out, and we're using candles and an out house.

Now, after eight years, my negative friends are still urging me to give it up before things get even worse and more expensive. No way. I've already put more into the remodel than I paid for the place. Besides, I'm no quitter.

I now figure that in another three to four years and another maybe third of a million I'll have, while not exactly a copy of the Taj Mahal, but at least something that sort of resembles it and hopefully has indoor plumbing.

Anyway, President Obama, I know what you're going through. Hang in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment