Saturday, November 28, 2009

afgahnistan and the right toy for a child

I needed a present for my nephew as he entered kindergarten, so I bought him a rifle. I tried to explain to him that he should practice extensively with it, as it could save his life fifteen years from now in Afghanistan.

As I thought more about this, it occurred to me that it's not just my nephew's problem, so I suggested to the school board that they substitute a children's version of basic training for the usual physical education. I argued, correctly, I believe, that this would give them excellent physical conditioning and would be more relevant than kickball, flag football or any of the other games that have no application in the real world.

The board is considering my idea, and while they agree that it is practical, they are concerned about the public reaction to admitting that the war will still be a hot item in 2025. One board member admitted that everyone realizes this on a subliminal level, but no one really wants to point to the metaphorical elephant in the room.

He said, "Let's find a way to sugar coat this, and then we'll see if it flies."

No comments:

Post a Comment