Saturday, March 26, 2011

Sacred ground, nonsense!


Another piece about some project on hold because of tribal sacred burial grounds. Seems that every tribe, ethnic group and religion has a catalog of holy or sacred places. Sometimes I wonder if there are any places outside of Antarctica that aren't sacred.
A good example is Jerusalem, a very old city that is holy to Jews, Christians and Muslims. I've always wondered why, for what reasons is it holy?  Is it just because these people have been fighting over it for centuries?

In my opinion, there is no such thing as holy land. Land is land, and people use it to live on, to work on, to grow crops on or even to leave alone because its ecological, aesthetic or natural resource value requires us to do so. When some tribe talks about ancient burial grounds, I have to think that these buried bones are likely as distantly related to the tribes as Oog, the caveman who painted on cave walls in France 40,000 years ago is to me.  

I suspect consecrated ground is derived from constipated minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment