Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Something to check out

I've recently been in contact with an old friend from college, a guy who has been trying to earn his living from the written word for better than 30 years, and if anyone has had that experience, they know that it's sort of a blissful state of Zen poverty.

Recently he's been another casualty of the recession, the one where the rich got tossed a lifeline, and the working people were sent a care, reading, "Having a nice recovery. Wish you were here."

Anyway, this guy, Scott, who also goes by Rusty and Mick, depending on which alter ego fits the occasion, has come up with a fairly novel idea. He sends out a weekly news letter, interesting bits and pieces gleaned from various media, along with his brand of commentary. http://nstar312.blogspot.com/

Anyway, he likes my blog (no accounting for taste), so I thought I'd send some of my readers his way. No obligation, so if it isn't your thing, so be it.

However, the novel idea was to put a Pay Pal button on this newsletter, so if you become a fan, and you want to keep electricity flowing to his computer, you can donate to him.

Anyway, I always assumed that Pay Pal was some big deal, and that you had to be a profitable company and spend lots of time to get into this. He said, "No; it's easy," so I added Pay Pal to my website, making it easier for my 6 or 7 loyal fans to buy my books.

I figure that if I suddenly start generating sales, I'll donate a bit of that to him, sort of a thanks for the tip kind of thing. I've come to appreciate the "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" philosophy, rather than my former, "You Scratch my back, and I'll pick your pocket."

No comments:

Post a Comment