Sunday, July 11, 2010

changing my voter reg.

Republicans and Democrats are bashing each other at every level: candidates for office, members of every legislature, media pundits and people on the street. Amid all the finger pointing and name calling, nothing worthwhile is getting done. Well, some lobbyists are getting their special favors, but nothing for the rest of us.

I was a democrat, thinking that they were a bit better, more on my side. However, I now have trouble telling the difference, as our debt mounts, wars drag on, the economy continues to falter, a few corporations get rich or bailed out or both and our once great education system crumbles.

I'm going down to city hall in the morning and change my voter registration. I'll look at the current assortment of third parties and either choose one or register as an independent.

I think we all should do that. Perhaps if the two major parties saw their numbers drop down to single digit, they might just get the idea, cut the pointless games and start working together to get something worthwhile done. And, if they didn't perhaps some third parties would become major parties, and the Republicans and Democrats would go the way of the Whigs.

There is nothing written in stone that says these two parties are all we get for now and for all time. They've served their purpose, and now it's time for us to walk away from them, leaving the remaining vocal few to shout endless invectives at each other, while the rest of the country gets on with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment