Monday, January 4, 2010

Oh, no, award season again

I see from all the promotions on TV that it's award season again. I'm losing track, since I haven't watched them for several years. Let's see: academy awards, Emmys, golden globe, screen actors, Tonys and an assortment of music awards, such as popular, country and, I believe, grunge polka.

Now those are just the ones I remember. I'm sure they've added a least a dozen since then.
I've heard that this year there will be awards for the best supporting actor in a daytime commercial, the best dead victim in a crime drama and the best actor in a late night infomercial. I'm sure I've only scratched the surface here.

However many there are, you can bet we'll be exposed to one or two big award extravaganzas, lasting several hours, each week until they are eventually replaced by March Madness.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in people who are placed in front of the public on screen and TV on a regular basis, are paid millions for this work and then get shoved in our faces again while they all congratulate each other with a fancy ceremonies and ornate trophies?

We get it! These people are mega rich and mega popular. Shouldn't that be enough? Do we have to watch them hug each other and give long-winded speeches?

Where are the awards for the people who fight forest fires, maintain our parks, scientists, teachers and the painless dentists.

No comments:

Post a Comment