Sunday, February 21, 2010

What's with the Tiger Woods media hype

The other day I turned on the evening news, actually hoping for some news. Instead, I was subjected to something close to ten minutes of Tiger Woods. He plays golf; he had affairs, so what. Then the next day there's an almost full page editorial in the Sentinel about this guy. Needless to say, I didn't read it.

Don't most of us have too much going on in our personal lives, too many local, regional, national and international issues to think about, too many interesting things to arouse our curiosity to bother about some golfer and his promiscuity.

I'm sure there are people who are addicted to the tabloids who will read every word, listen to every commentary about any celebrity who does anything, at any time, for any reason. However, I don't think there are a majority of those people in the Monterey Bay area. The people I know are interesting and have interests in their own right.

Watching golf, which until recently was dominated by portly, middle aged men, is one step above watching paint dry, so what's the big deal about a guy who can tap a ball into a little hole on a patch of lawn. I guess other golfers can admire his skill, but how does that translate to his personal life, and how does that personal life affect the lives of countless Americans? Are we collectively so far adrift?

A neighborhood middle school girl is the best hop scotch player in town, and I hear she was kissing some boy behind the gym last week. I think the national media should get down here and cover it.

No comments:

Post a Comment